Student Needs and Student Success Agenda
OASBO supports high quality educational opportunities for all students. As such, students will be prepared to compete in a world economy as successful, productive citizens. The education system in Ohio must offer a safe environment for learning, and the necessary educational tools and resources that will ensure a well-rounded education experience. OASBO supports a learning environment enriched by the different cultures and experiences that students, staff, administrators, and stakeholders bring into our schools.
OASBO supports an education system, along with the requisite funding, that includes the following provisions:
- Appropriate mental health services (i.e., social workers, psychologists, mental health counselors).
- Comprehensive early childhood education programs. Particular attention should be given to providing access to research-based early childhood education programs for students who are at risk.
- Programs that address the challenges faced by economically disadvantaged students.
- Services for students with all levels of special needs, including students with disabilities, English learners and gifted.
- Appropriate assistance for homeless students.
- Nutrition and wellness programs to meet the physical health needs of students.
- Accountability and consistency in student and fiscal reporting for all schools receiving public funds.
- Appropriate access to educational and extracurricular opportunities for all students and ranges of ability.
- Programs that support equity, diversity and inclusion for students, staff, and the community.
- Reasonable testing levels of proficiency, achievement and progress, required and funded.
- Data-driven decision making and the use of strategic planning that lead to programs that help students succeed. Avenues should be encouraged for districts to implement best practices.
- Appropriate, environmentally conscious classroom facilities and infrastructure to support a positive learning environment (with provisions for student safety, technology, comfortable surroundings, and appropriate space).