Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In 2020, OASBO embarked upon a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) journey. It was added to the association's new strategic plan, and then the real work began. With continued guidance from a DEI strategist, we have created a standing committee - and their work so far has resulted in a new OASBO DEI mission and slogan, as well as major strategies and goals. This important journey does not have an end; rather, it will result in processes and practices that embed DEI in all aspects of the organization.
We are committed to engage, educate, and empower members to better understand, appreciate, and advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion for all people.
1. Increase diversity, equity, and inclusion professional development and training for members and staff.
We will identify and offer a series of DEI education and awareness courses that focuses on engaging our members in essential conversations that will equip them with understanding the dimensions of diversity and why it is important:
2. Increase school business profession recruitment efforts, with a focus on diverse populations/Increase outreach efforts to reach diverse SBOs.
We will engage with members to create a DEI recruiting framework to diversify respective networks and expand circles by:
- Making hiring diverse candidates a high priority
- Getting out of your candidate comfort zone
- Work with recruiters who focus on diversity
- Recruit candidates in different spaces
- Come up with a candidate referral process
3. Communicate leadership opportunities and organizational structure.
We will create a process for sharing opportunities as they arise and the organizational structure as it is defined.
DEI Culture Assessment
We need your input! Assessment runs Oct. 20 - Nov 5
In order to advance our DEI mission, we need to understand how our members feel personally and professionally about diversity, equity, and inclusion, and where we, as an association, stand on our DEI journey.
Please take our assessment, administered by third party Dynamic Benchmarking. We look forward to sharing the insights we learn from this important study and using these insights to drive action in our association.
Watch your email for the assessment link! It will be open from Oct. 20 - Nov 5.